Pages

Sunday, September 25, 2011

Book club pick

I belong to a book club. It's actually more of a drinking club that reads. Or sort of reads.

It's kind of a motley group of women: I'm the youngest by about 20 years. The next youngest is the former press secretary for an elected official. Then there's a music teacher, a teacher at a fancy private school, a retired psychiatric nurse, and a former coworker, aka my "Jewish mom." She's also the ringleader of the group. We meet at her house every time. Everyone brings snacks, and she makes pitchers of cosmopolitans. We meet monthly, and when we discuss the latest book we're always careful not to give away the ending, because it always ends up that someone hasn't finished the book. (Usually we're in varying degrees of completion.)

We talk about the books a little bit, but mostly we talk about stuff. Whatever's going on in the world, in local politics, in our lives. And we knock back a few cosmos in the process.

We've read a few really good books (and a few not so good books) but the latest is one of my favorites so far.







Obviously I liked it right off the bat. The main character is named Emily, has blond hair and blue eyes and a dog. What's not to like so far? The dog's name is Einstein, which also tugged at a nerve for me - I joke that Mac is the "Einstein of canines."

I'm not good at summarizing a book in a few sentences, so I'm not even going to try. I will say, however, that I couldn't put it down. In fact, I even stayed in Saturday night to finish it- I more or less read it in one sitting (with a few breaks for house stuff), which is what I do when I really like a book.

And, I think I have a new favorite author. (I have many favorite authors, but she's working her way onto the list!) I've already downloaded another book by the author, but I'm not starting it just yet- if it's as good as the last, I want to give myself enough time to read the whole thing!

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment