Pages

Sunday, October 21, 2012

People are crazy

I'm writing this with a snoring Brewster parked in my lap.

I don't know what got me started on this, but lately I've been wondering how his last owner gave him away. Obviously I'm glad they did - because if they hadn't, I wouldn't have him now. But I can't imagine how someone was able to look at this sweet little face and give him away. To a shelter to boot.



Sleepy boy.

I can't even imagine telling him we're going for a ride, then taking him somewhere and leaving him. For good. I can't imagine doing that to any animal, let alone this sweet little guy.




I can't imagine watching him get excited to go for a ride, knowing I wasn't bringing him back. Even if I was living out of my car, I'd bring him with me. I have an understanding with my parents and friends - if, God forbid, something happens to me, someone would take Brewster. I just don't get it when dogs are dumped at shelters due to someone moving, or a "change in family circumstances." I wouldn't move somewhere I couldn't bring my dog! And if something absolutely horrible happened and I absolutely couldn't keep him, I can't imagine bringing him to a shelter- I'd find someone for him.



Anyway. Enough of my soapbox. Especially after the crazy week I've had, I am way all aware that there are some wacky people out there. And even though I don't agree with his former owner's decision to give him away, I'm definitely glad they did.

It's already coming up on one year since I adopted him. He's a pain sometimes, but he's also a total lovebug and incredibly sweet. I'm so, so glad he's mine.



I was so sad after my last dog died. I couldn't imagine that I'd be able to love another dog as much, but it was also really quiet in the house without the pitter patter of four little paws running around. Brewster has been such a great addition to my life!



- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment