Pages

Thursday, October 18, 2012

It's been a rough couple weeks on the dating front.
You know how bad things happen in threes? I thought I was off the hook. But no.
I'll start from the beginning. My latest prospect has gone rogue on me: he has taken up with another girl. A long-distance one, to boot. So I've been a little bummed. This guy is great- he's smart, cute, we get along great and we're two peas in a pod. I thought things had potential. Instead I've been subjected to a bunch of Facebook pics of him and long-distance girl on a weekend away.
Another Facebook pick-me-up: a guy I dated a few years back is now happily married and just had a baby. He created a blog to keep friends and family updated, and he posts updates on Facebook daily. I'm happy for him, honestly. But I'm just a little sensitive about that stuff now.
Because the final part of this trifecta: the guy I dated just a few months ago...is now engaged. We ended things in March; he got engaged in May. And now they have a wedding website. And it's weird. Out of all the things that bother me about it - and there are sooo many: that he was dating both of us around the same time, and that she was the one he picked, even though she's much less attractive than me; that they have a cheesy engagement website, complete with a "janeplusjack@gmail" email address (not their real names); that they have cheesy "engagement pictures" of them lying juxtaposed in the grass, and of course the close up of the ring, with her hand posed over his - what gets to me the most is that they're registered at Kohl's. Kohl's!
This is a guy who's lived and traveled all over the world. And, um, not to mention - this is his second marriage. I thought he was above the whole gift registry completely - or if he did register, it would be a chip-in thing towards an African safari honeymoon trip, or something like that. Not a registry for potholders and towels at Kohl's!
So I thought with that horrific completion to my dating disaster triumvirate, I was done for a bit with the shit magnet-ness. Nope.
Went out the other night with a friend to watch the presidential debate. Guy at the bar starts talking to me. He's older (like, um, 50-ish older) but kinda cute...and he has a southern accent. So I figure, what the heck. With the terrible run I've had lately, things are bound to turn around. Right?
Wrong. He seemed fine enough - charming and pleasant. A few warning bells went off, but I chose to ignore them: he was talking about flying me out to the next place he's going (he travels a lot for work), and taking me out the next time he's in RI for work in a couple weeks. He mentioned kids and an ex-wife. Surprisingly that didn't bother me a whole lot. And he came on pretty strong, but after the way things have been going lately, a little flattery was kinda nice. But something just wasn't adding up.
He never called or texted. Given how strong he came on, that was a little odd. And it hit me: he's not divorced. Sure enough, a little google research confirmed my fears. Sure, it's possible that he's very recently divorced or separated, but I doubt it.
I'm disgusted. I'm also becoming increasingly convinced that I'm going to be single forever. And given the options that are out there, single's not so bad.
- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

Location:More dating disasters

No comments:

Post a Comment